Thursday, July 4, 2024

Pirate - Sammi weekend challenge - #370

Blackbeard knew his time was up when he saw Lt. Robert Maynard step onto the quarterdeck of his destroyed frigate, “Queen Anne’s Revenge”. Two sailors carrying an empty hogshead barrel followed which they set next to him.

Blackbeard did not move. He stood tall and smiled. “So, this is it. ….. Get on with it.”

The sailors bent Blackbeard over the barrel. The lieutenant drew his cutlass and without a word, decapitated Edward Teach.

<><><><><><><>

I went through a "pirate phase" when I was a kid living in Tampa, Florida. Local pirate legend "Gasparilla" was championed up and down the west coast of Florida. His fictional story got me started and I spent many hours at the libraries near me learning what I could about pirates and all the swashbuckling they carried out as they fought the good fight against the imperialist Euro trash nations from across the Atlantic. 

Loved the prompt. I immediately turned to the moment when Edward Teach was killed, having read so many tales about the last moments of his life.

When I was looking for an appropriate tune for this piece of Flash Fiction, I sifted through obnoxious tunes, timely tunes and finally settled on an excellent rendition of a Whaling Sea shanty, "Old Maui", by The Dreadnaughts. Excellent harmonies.


After rediscovering sea shanties again after so many years, naturally, I had to spend a few hours listening to some I remembered and more that I had never heard before. Here for an encore are the Dreadnaughts with their ribald shanty, "Sally Brown".

No comments: