Monday, July 8, 2024

Down the Hatch - FF #5

 

“Finally Free - #5” - Prediction challenge for July 11, 2024

3 word prompt - hatch, toss, uncertain – 100 words or less

“Down the Hatch” - FF # 5 

Neither praying nor fireworks had helped Sheriff Wilkins’ frame of mind. The uncertainty of what might be coming ate at him. Was Martha, dead Caleb and the livestock deaths to become a dark rabbit hole or just a convergence of unrelated events?

 “Wilky?”

A hand rested on his shoulder and made him jump. Wilkins turned.

Neighbor Jerry stood holding a tray holding a jug and two tumblers containing what looked suspiciously like moonshine.

“Thought you might like to toss back a couple shots of my best ‘shine.”

Jerry handed Wilky a glass and raised his own glass.

“Down the hatch.”

<><><><><><><><>

Had a bit of a struggle with this 100 words. The prompt words were not an issue. It was .... well, I am just not sure what held it up other than each time I was sure it was done, I rethought the point I wanted to make or the flow, Hell, this is the 5th rendition of this serial entry. I just had to stop and move on.

The musical choice gave me trouble too. I wanted to share some music I am told I used to rock out to at the age of 3 and 4. The strongest radio station in the Colorado Springs in the early 1950s was a country station out of Denver. Country and Bluegrass were my first music. And though I would later include a wide variety of musical genres to my quiver, the old country and bluegrass have never left . Here are the Stanley Brothers with their version of "Mountain Dew". Not about a soft drink however. 

No comments: