Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lying Truth - Indie Ink Challenge - 100 Words

Facts intermingled with conjecture and forgone conclusions cast Truth aside in favor of expedient knee jerked solutions.  Lost in a sea of deception, specious goals are massaged by lying hands, replacing Honesty with Truth’s ugly step sister, the Half Truth.

The Midway Squawkers and Snake Oil Salesmen insist and demand the Half  Truth into our lives hoping their deception lasts long enough for them to cash in their nickels and dimes. 

Assaulted long enough, we allow recent lies to become our New Truth. Delusion casts itself in stone and merry populations dance around it happy as if they had brains.
_____________________________

For the Indie Ink Writing Challenge this week, Sherree challenged me with "There's a world of difference between truth and facts.  Facts can obscure the truth.  Maya Angelou" and I challenged Catherine with "Water is the theme - either too much or too little - any setting"
_________________For Challenge week 1/6/12 to 1/13/12________________

Some Below the Fold Thoughts on the Piece

Along with the rules of the prompt, I usually write down snippets of thought pertaining to the story or essay I want to write.  I do this more often when I really have no idea of what I want to write.  I hope that by seeing these random thoughts that may or may not be connected to the prompt, a story will cross my mind.

I leave these snippets at the top to help remind me of what I might want to include.  For this challenge, I dutifully began a story, then stopped.  I kept coming back to Maya Angelou's quote and the phrases and words I had written down to jog me in the right direction.   Her quote was so concise and utterly complete, I thought I should try to be also.  Thus I decided to limit my effort this week to 100 words, a style of flash I really enjoy.  Regardless, this is what I came up with this week.

4 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

"merry populations dance around it happy as if they had brains."

Outstanding!

Anonymous said...

Simply fantastic. I think you did Maya proud here!

Unknown said...

Delusion casts itself in stone. Neat. Terrific phrase.

MRMacrum said...

Thank you all for stopping by with such kind words. Doing the 100 word thing is damn hard. My efforts have improved, but still I look at this one and would like to tweak it.